Can we contact you if we have questions or concerns?
Of course! Because we work with an international clientele, it works best to contact us online, but we can always make arrangements for live phone or Zoom conversations as well. You can contact us through the website, email the Director at email@example.com, or phone us at 1-800-327-7924.
You can expect a response within 24 hours (Monday through Friday, 9:00 am to 5:00 pm Pacific Coast time, USA).
Are your courses approved by my state’s board?
Likely they are, although course requirements vary by license and by state. We recommend that you review the requirements of your license and state to be sure our offerings match the continuing education credit hours (CEs) you need.
How long does it take to complete a course?
Our courses range from 1 to 8 hours in length.
If you wish to pursue the Certificate of Advanced Study in Psychoanalytic Psychotherapy, it consists of three 8-hour core courses and a variety of electives that range from 1 to 8 hours, all to total 48 hours. You may complete the coursework as quickly as you wish, as long as you take no longer than 3 years – the pacing is entirely up to you.
Why do I hear about different credit terms – CEUs and CEs?
CE is the current term used in psychology. One hour of coursework earns 1 CE credit. CEU used to refer to 10 hours of coursework, when continuing education courses tended to be standardized into large blocks of time similar to a classroom schedule. In more recent years, educators have recognized the need for flexible teaching modules.
How do I earn continuing education credits (CEs)?
Once you register for a course and complete it, you will be linked to a test. As soon as you pass the test, you will be able to download a Certificate of Completion that shows your name, date, course title, and number of CE credits earned. You will be able to access the certificate immediately online or at any time in the future.
What are the tests like?
Tests are online and multiple choice in format, and each response is followed with immediate feedback so that the test may be part of the learning process.
What happens if I fail the test?
You may take the test an unlimited number of times without penalty. Again, you will also receive immediate corrective feedback on any incorrect answers, so that the test-taking process itself becomes educational and is as painless as possible.
Is there an application process for your courses or programs? Do you require transcripts to register?
Although our courses are designed for those with doctoral-level training in psychology, they are open to everyone. We do not require a special application process, but we encourage you to contact us if you have questions regarding whether a course or program will be appropriate for your needs and background.
How do I enroll in a course?
It’s easy! Click “Order Now” for the courses you would like to take. Then visit “My Cart” and “Proceed to Checkout” when you are ready to enter in your payment method. Once you complete the payment process, you will be able to access your course or webinar link immediately.
I’ve ordered my course but don’t see how to open it to begin.
All courses are available immediately. When you are in your account, you should see your course title(s) listed. To the upper right of the course titles, click on “Expand All” to reveal the sections of the course. Click on the first section to begin.
How many CE credits will I receive upon successful completion of a course?
You will receive the number of continuing education (CE) credits indicated in the course description. The number of CE credits and course name will also be noted on the Certificate of Completion.
How and when will I receive the Certificate of Completion?
You will be able to access the Certificate of Completion immediately online, as soon as you pass the test for the course. The certificate will also remain available in your account’s area so that you can access it at any time in the future.
Which courses can be applied to earn a certificate of advanced study?
We currently offer a Certificate of Advanced Study in Psychoanalytic Psychotherapy. Courses that may be applied to the certificate are designated as such in course descriptions. Eligible courses are also listed under the certificate program descriptions.
How can I apply a course to a certificate of advanced study?
Simply let us know through “Contact Us” or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org that you wish to pursue the certificate.
How early in the process must I make the decision regarding a certificate program and what if I change my mind?
No worries. You may make the decision at any time and there is no penalty for changing your mind.
How much time do I have to complete a certificate program?
You may pace the coursework so that it best suits your needs—whether across several days or several years. We only require that you complete the hours within 3 years.
What are the benefits of obtaining a certificate of advanced study?
Professional development as a clinician is a lifelong process. Ideally, continuing education is completed in coursework that reflects a thoughtful plan that can help you develop expertise in an area that will be relevant to your work. Documenting advanced study in a specific area with a certificate may also allow you, as a professional, to stand out among colleagues and increase your professional recognition.
If I apply my courses to a certificate of advanced study, can I still apply them to earn CE credits?
Of course! The certificates offer you a convenient way to earn CE and demonstrate advanced study in an area at the same time. In fact, many professionals find the accrual of professional development toward a specific competency both rewarding and practical. Rather than meeting your professional development requirements in a haphazard or piecemeal fashion, the pursuit of a certificate helps you demonstrate and document your advanced level of education.
What do the following logo and statement mean?
“Institute of Advanced Psychological Studies is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. Institute of Advanced Psychological Studies maintains responsibility for this program and its content.”
The above statement and logo mean that we are committed to following the rigorous standards and principles of the American Psychological Association in all of our continuing education programs. A summary of these standards follows:
- We design our offerings to provide postdoctoral learning activities that are relevant to psychological practice, education, and/or science.
- Our goal is to provide psychologists with opportunities to stay current, with scientifically grounded evidence, regarding issues relevant to enhancing their service to the public and the profession.
- The content of our programs is relevant to psychological practice, education, and/or science, and grounded in an evidence-based approach. Where programs are focused on application of psychological assessment or intervention methods, their content is supported by credible, contemporary, peer-reviewed scientific literature. Our programs may also provide information related to ethical, legal, statutory, or regulatory policies, guidelines, and standards that impact psychology.
- Our presentations address the content’s accuracy and utility, the empirical basis of such statements, the content’s limitations, and the severe and most common risks if applicable.
- We plan our programs so that they fulfill clearly defined educational objectives that describe what participants can expect to learn and how this knowledge may be applied in a professional context.
- We include direct input by psychologists in all phases of our decision-making, planning, and program development.
- We strive to make use of empirically-grounded instructional methods that actively engage participants in the material to facilitate their learning and, where appropriate, facilitate translation into practice.
- We select instructors who are experts in the material and competent to teach at a postdoctoral level.
- We pledge to clearly disclose and describe any potential conflict of interest or commercial support for a program, presentation, or instructor at the start of a program.
- We are committed to developing program content and to selecting instructors that respect cultural, individual, and role differences. Our commitment to diversity spans age, gender and gender identity, sexual orientation, race and ethnicity, culture, national origin, religion, language, socioeconomic status, and disability. In addition, all of our programs are accessible to individuals with disabilities, in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act.
- We ensure the privacy of all of our participants, the security of tests and proprietary information, and the confidentiality of any individuals or entities referenced in our programs as appropriate.
- We have written procedures for addressing participant complaints in an ethical, reasonable, and timely manner.
- We include assessments to help us improve and plan future programs. Participants evaluate how well each educational objective has been achieved, the material’s overall utility for their professional development, and their satisfaction with various aspects of a program.
- We also assess participants’ learning of the material in our homestudy courses.
- One credit of continuing education (CE) is awarded on the basis of 1 hour of instructional time. Documentation includes the APA approval statement, the name and date of the activity, the number of CE credits earned, and our verification, and we pledge to maintain documentation of credits earned for at least 3 years following the completion of an activity.
- Our promotional materials provide accurate and complete information for potential program participants, and include the program’s educational objectives, target audience and activity’s instructional level, schedule if applicable, all fees, refund policy, instructor’s full credentials, number of CE credits offered, and any activities that may not be offered for credit.
Please contact us if you ever have any questions. We look forward to assisting you!
We are here to help! You can contact us any time by completing a contact form or email the Director at email@example.com. You should receive a response within 24 hours (Monday through Friday, 9:00 am to 5:00 pm Pacific Coast time, USA).